HOW WE AVOID DROPOUTS IN SCHOOLS and - THE WAY OF FINLAND
3rd July-8th July 2018 Joensuu, Finland (six days, 560 €) (30€ discount if your group is 5 or more) CONFIRMED! STILL FREE PLACES, WELCOME!
29th June - 4th July 2019 Joensuu, Finland (six days, 560 €) (30€ discount if your group is 5 or more)
4th-9th July 2020 (six days, 560 €) (30€ discount if your group is 5 or more)
Confirmed= There are more than 12 final registrations already! Normally next summer/winter is confirmed latest after KA1 results come in May.
Dropout rate in Finland is really low in basic education. About 99,4 % of our pupils will go through the basic compulsory education starting their school in age of 7. Schools work together with social and health care services to handle bad situations for pupils (devorse, vioalance, drugs, unsocial behavior, crimes). In Finland we have also created many new methods how to prevent and handle bullying in schools.
It may be possible to obtain a European Union Erasmus+ (formerly Comenius) grant (K1, learning mobillity of individuals) to cover course fee, travelling and accomodation costs! The next closing date for Erasmus+ applications is in February 2018 (education starting earliest June 2018), and teachers will need the application of their Headteacher in doing this. More information is available from your national agency. So, you can pre-book your place from this link before making application to Erasmus+ office and when you get positive decision let us now if you are really coming.
Accomodation July 2017: We have a group reservation net price with Sokos hotel Kimmel. Single room is 69 euros/night/room, double room is 84 euros/night/room, superior room for three 139€/room/night, including breakfast, sauna, swimming pool, wifi. Hotel Kimmel website here. You are of course free to use other hotels if you want (hotel Green star etc.).
Course fee must fully paid no later than 1 month before the start of the course or with later instructions. Pre-registration is free! If you do not get the grant, you do not have to pay.
After course week participants:
know how Finnish education system works, and how "safety network" works in Finnish schools and co-operation with social services. In Finland, every single pupil is important. Participants will also learn what flexible ways there are to complete basic education even with hard difficulties (drugs, violance, alcohol, broken families etc). Also Finnish way of operating with refugees. Participant will also learn how in Finnish school we prevent bullying and handle it with pupil and families.
Participant will learn to understand why in Finland we actually do not have drop outs and all young can continue to next school (upper secondary or vocational training) when they are 16 years.
Participant will learn also about from each others and the ways how they do this work in their countries. Participants will also have possibility to practice their professional English in field of education and social services.
Thematic field of the training:
* Finnish and European education system and ways to support drop out kids
* Co-operation with social services
* Prevent and handle bullying, KIVA-school programme made for it
* special support for families and children in bad situations
* Employment services and ways to get in the schools
* vocational education ways to avoid drop outs
* Safe net, unsocial behavior, crimes
* immigrants, refugees
*parents awarenessEducation sector of the training participants:
- preprimary, primary, general secondary, upper secondary, vocational, administratitive staff
Target audience: NORMAL teachers, headteachers/principles, teacher-trainers, Councilors/elected members, special teachers, vocational teachers, curators, psychologists, experts, politicians, voluntary workers
Languages used for the training: English
Place: Joensuu, Finland (can be reached from Helsinki by airplane, train or by bus)
Programme of the training activities (day by day):
The programme has an experiential approach. A lot of talking with staff, experts and teachers and head teachers.
Day nro 1: (starting 18:00)
- Welcome to Joensuu. Finnish education system, education in Joensuu. Joensuu as a city of education. Finland as a country and its results in PISA.
Special education in country of participants. Getting to know city of Joensuu, museum of North Karelia.
Day nro 2:
- Early support, special teaching in kindergartens, preschools and schools integration and inclusion. Different ways to support early school leaving.
- Voluntary activities, we let you know it. Depends about the weather.
Day nro 3:
- Co-operation with social services. How to avoid drop outs together with other public services (unemployment office etc.). Refugees and immigrants as clients.
Day nro 4:
- Presentations of participant projects. Ideas for you and your schools. KIVA -school programme for bullying.
Day nro 5:
- Visiting at countryside and national park of Koli. Cultural trip and visiting countryside school. Light barbeque with open fire (includes to course fee)
Day nro. 6: (starting 8:00 AM, closing latest 13:00 o´clock)
Making international relationships - project ideas together. Course evaluation, certificates, good bye.
(Officially course is over 13.00 PM)