SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION - HOW CAN WE SAVE THE PLANET EARTH TOGETHER?
This course will give you some ideas and classroom skills how to teach sustainability development in school and how school can show good example for children and teenagers in curriculum.
31.07.-04.08. 1/2020 (420 €), JOENSUU, FINLAND
03.10-07.10 2/2020 (420 €) JOENSUU, FINLAND
9.10-13.10. 2021 (420 €), JOENSUU, FINLAND
19.11.-23.11. 2022 (420 € if final registration made latest April 2021)
Course place: Joensuu, Finland
Working language: English
Outcomes of training week:
During the course week participants will learn how to activate pupils or students every way taking care of nature and environmental issues in every day life. Participant will also learn how to develope his/her classroom skills with environmental and sustainability issues and what kind of things are possible in school life and curriculum.
Participants learn also develope their professional English skills and learn and get ideas from each others. They will also get new collegues from all over the Europe and they can start to think example new projects.
Themes of education week:
- Sustainability, how we understand it at schools
- Environmental issues, teaching methods for different age groups
- Sharing curricula and pedagogy of participants
- Finnish and participant education system and sustainability issues in it
- School every day life as example about sustainability
- Carbon footprint at school
- World wide sustainability programmes (Green flag etc.)
- Sustainable and healthy school lunch
Course fee: 420€/participant. Course fee does not include meals or accomodation. Course fee must be paid four weeks before course start to bank account or with later instructions.
Certificates: Course certificate, Europass mobility document, other needed documents
1. ACCOMODATION SUGGESTION JULY 2020: Accomodation rate in July 2020 in our cooperation hotel, Sokos hotel Kimmel Joensuu is: Economy room rates: Single economy 72€/night/room, Double economy room 82€/night/room. Standard room rates: single room 90€/room/night, double room 100€/room/night.
Room reservations and payments from www.sokoshotels.com portal . Use reservation code EDUKARJALA20 for July 2020. Standard room is little bit bigger than economy room.
2. ACCOMODATION SUGGESTION OCTOBER 2020: Accomodation rate in October 2020 in our cooperation hotel, Sokos hotel Kimmel is: Economy room rates: Single economy 86€/night/room, Double economy room 96€/night/room. Standard room rates: single room 103€/room/night, double room 113€/room/night. Standard room is little bit bigger than economy room.
Room reservations and payments from www.sokoshotels.com portal . Use reservation code EDU201002 for October 2020.
All room rates include big buffet breakfast, free wifi and sauna with swimming pool. Kimmel hotel locates opposite to main railway and bus stations in Joensuu and also busses to Joensuu airport has a bus stop next to it.
You will pay accomodation to Sokos hotel system, not to eduKarjala. We help you every way :-).
Of course you are free to choose other kind of accomodation (hostels, other hotels or airbnb) if you want. Near course place you can find example ISLO hostel, rooms are with small kitchen. Also hotel Green star is popular, www.greenstar.fi
City of Joensuu locates 450 km North-East from Helsinki. You can reach Joensuu every day by airplane (JOE), train or by bus from Helsinki.
It may be possible to obtain a European Union Erasmus+ (formerly Comenius) grant (K1, learning mobillity of individuals) to cover course fee, travelling and accomodation costs! Next closing date for Erasmus+ applications is 5th February 2020 (education starting earliest June 2020), and teachers will need the application of their Headteacher in doing this. More information is available from our website and in your national agency. So, you can pre-book your place before making application to Erasmus+ office and when you get decision let us now if you are really coming.
Draft schedule of five days:
DAY 1 10:00-17:30: Welcome to Finland. Agenda of course week. Ice breaker, Finnish education system, participant presentations. 19:00-22:00 : Finnish barbeque evening with lake Saimaa, trying Finnish outdoor activities. Possibility to have sauna.
DAY 2 09.30-17:00: Sustainability in Schools. Teaching methodology of sustainability and environmental issues, curriculum activities. Sustainable school lunch/lunch box, how to recycle things at school
DAY 3: 09:30-17:00: Visiting Finnish Green flag schools, Sharing ideas, Group works, Earth wide programmes about sustainability (Green flag etc), How different ways school can save energy, how to measure carbon feetprints.
DAY 4: 9:00-16:00 Outdoor learning day in KOLI national park outside Joensuu. How schools can use their natural heretage as pedagogical material teaching sustainability and environmental issues. Small hike with outdoor gaming and presentation of KOLI.
DAY 5: 09:30-13:00 Conclusions of the course, workshop, certificates and farewell.